Sunday, February 19, 2012

Sarah Dash's New Single: "I'm Still Here"

I'm embarrassed to say that before her appearance last Friday on The Morning Jolt with Larry Flick (SiriusXM OutQ108) I wasn't familiar with Sarah Dash.  Dash started singing in Philadelphia in the late 50's with The Ordettes, which became The Bluebelles before becoming Patti LaBelle and the Bluebelles.  In 1971 the group changed its name one last time to LaBelle, and in 1978 Sarah released her first solo effort, a self titled album that included the top-ten disco hit "Sinner Man".  Check out Sarah's page on Wikipedia for more information.

After hearing Sarah's interview with Larry and a couple of tracks off her soon-to-be-released CD, The Seventh Child, I could only think that she may very well be the most overlooked diva in recent R&B history. Her brand of sassy, soulful wisdom was beautiful.  That's the best word to describe her as a person and an artist - beautiful.

I immediately jumped on iTunes and downloaded her new single, "I'm Still Here", which tells a tale of triumph and survival.  We've all gone through events in our life that we thought would surely destroy us, but from somewhere deep inside we found a strength we didn't know we had and rose from the ashes stronger and wiser for the experience.  It's the essence, the soul, of this experience that Ms. Dash has captured so beautifully.  This song moved me the very first time I heard it, and that doesn't happen easily or often.  I strongly encourage you to give it a listen.

On a side note, I adore Larry Flick and his show, The Morning Jolt, which he hosts weekdays at 7 am on SiriusXM OutQ108 with comedian Keith Price.  Larry has reminded me of so much music I'd forgotten about, but more important is that he's introduced me to new music from both established and new artists.  Thank you for doing what you do and being you who you are, Larry!

You can follow Sarah Dash on Twitter at @SarahDash, and Larry Flick at @LarryFlick.

No comments: